Thursday, January 3, 2013

Work T-shirt for Him

I'm planning on journaling EVERYTHING sewing in my life - including the mundane necessary items like t-shirts and undies.

My ultimate goal is to completely clothe my family of 6!  It will take a while to get there no doubt, but it will be a fun journey gettin there. Glad to have you along on that journey :-)



Today we have a work t-shirt for hubby.  I have sewn this so many times that I literally can cut, sew, press, fold and put away this shirt faster than I could drive to the store buy one and bring it home. Granted.. I live 30 minutes from any store that would sell t-shirts but that's beside the point :-)



I've had this shirt traced at a size 38 for years! He said that for today's model that I should shorten it just a bit.  I had lengthened the original pattern by 3 inches because he has always wanted t-shirts that were long enough to tuck in on his very tall body.  But, per his request, I shortened it today by 2 inches. So it's still 1 inch longer than the original.  Maybe he's shrinking in his old age????

Here's a close up of the neckband.  I am so happy with my newer sewing machine because my old one didn't really appreciate top stitching on knits :-/ This one does it with no problem! In the picture the neckband looks lopsided but it really isn't. It turned out just fine. Fine for a work shirt anyway!


This is more fun than the spiral notebook already!!!

Back to the sewing room.......

****** Update...... after wearing the shirt twice he says, "yeah maybe I do want that 2 inches back on the length of the pattern"   So.... we'll go back to the original extra length next time. I didn't even tell him "I told you so" ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I so admire that you have the talent and truly-duly ENJOY sewing so much that you're working at clothing your whole family.

    I think my hubby would love it if I learned to make t-shirts for him. (Ooooo, just think of the great colors I could pick out!) But I don't have a serger nor have I ever learned to sew with knits.

    I sure am going to enjoy following this blog of yours. It could even entice me a little away from quilting and back into sewing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing with knits is easy - they are SO forgiving LOL You don't need a serger, the stretch stitches on the machines made now-a-days work wonderfully well!! Give it a whirl - you'll love it, and of course so will hubby ;-)

      Delete