Wednesday, January 16, 2013

One More Skirt


I seriously need some photo shoot pointers!! My photographer is doing her best but look what she has to work with??!!?! Hopefully they will be much better when the models are little people :-)

This pattern is an old Country Skirt pattern put out by Country House Quilts that I had in my drawer.  The only pieces were the pocket and the front button plackets. I'm not sure if I like the buttons in the front or the zipper on the side style skirts yet.  The rest of the pattern was just a booklet of directions on how to cut and how to sew it together.

The fabric is a black cotton calico that daughter#1 and I found at a fabric estate sale about a year ago. We found the Ad on Craig's List and decided to hit it. We got some good deals and wish we could find more of this type of thing!  The woman had passed away and her family was selling her "stash". She had SOOOO much fabric that she literally opened a fabric store, after she died though. Her fabric was spread out over more than 40 tables. Each piece folded into a bolt size. There was a whole 'nother room for yarn too. And tables and tables of notions too!  I have never seen one person with THAT much fabric in my life!! 


I did as the directions said and cut the panels down to 36 inches wide each. I don't know that I'll make it again. I like my skirts a bit more a-line and this one is straight. It also makes me look larger in the tummy with the gathers than my other skirts with pleats do. It didn't turn out bad really, but just wouldn't be my first pick, I don't think. Time will tell if it becomes a favorite....

Next up another white shirt for me. Then my wardrobe will be in a better position and I'll be able to sew for the children again for a while as we finish out the winter. Although I am needing a new purse and still have a quilt to put together for son#4 so they may come first. Can you tell I have to seriously prioritize my sewing?? Always too many projects and so little time!

2 comments:

  1. That skirt and blouse look very nice together.

    I've always liked a skirt with a definite waist band and gathers all the way around. BUT I feel the same way you do; the gathers in front make my tummy pooch out. (And who needs that?) Also, when looking at the rear view with a mirror, I feel like my hips look 'bout as wide as a barn door. But I wonder if other people look at us in a skirt like that and just see the attractive style of the gathers. Ya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Pea. I made the shirt a couple years ago. It was too small to wear last year - or should I say I was too large??

      The only thing I think is..... I need to loose a few pounds LOL I'm not as large as I was last year at this time so there's been improvement but.... I NEED to get in shape, for sure!

      Delete