Thursday, April 11, 2013

Blue & Black Checked Shirt

 Littlest Man was SO excited to actually pick out his own fabric on-line so when my fabric order arrived this week his shirt was the first project undertaken.

I used Ottobre 3/2012 #19, size 110 with no alterations. Fabric: Prepster Stretch Yarn Dyed Shirting Plaid Turquoise/Black. 98% cotton, 2 % Lycra from Fabric.com

At first I was just going to do it as a plain shirt but as I began cutting it out I thought "oh, what the heck he deserves something different and unique". Ugh! Stupid thought!

The binding on the bottom was a pain in the rump. Actually the binding went on fine but the directions said not to add seam allowance to the bottom up to the side vents. The directions didn't make sense regarding how that was supposed to meet up with the seam allowance that was added to the side seams. So... I made it up as I went along.....

The sleeves are not how they should be even though they turned out looking alright. Those directions were a bit whacked out too.
I told him this wasn't a mug shot but.....

It turned out OK and wearable, but I will not repeat this pattern (as written) again. I'll use the pattern itself but will make it how I want to make it and not follow their directions. It fits well and the sizing is wonderful. I was so pleased with the pants patterns and directions... I hope this was just a fluke as far as their shirt patterns and directions go.
Oh and don't worry - he's up for a haircut tomorrow!! So he won't look like such a wild man after that LOL

2 comments:

  1. Omigosh, what a doll he is!! (Best not tell him that.) I thought his hair style was on purpose . . . you know the "messy" look is in for cool guys, don't cha? Very, very nice looking shirt. The binding on the bottom does add a special touch even though it turned out to be a pain. I also like the shirt cuffs. What a delight that he was eager about picking out his fabric. These are the little things that kids should get excited about rather than all the artificial/contrived yuck so many are involved in. (Better sign off before I pull out my soap box.) Good job, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... shucks, Thanks. It's fun and the kids still like to wear what I make so it's a win win so far. I get ya on the artificial/contrived thing. I have the opposite problem - they fight over who gets the next sewn item LOL

      Delete