Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A New Sewer

Yeah, I open a new blog, post a couple times, and disappear! No..... I've been teaching a new sewer how to sew! VERY time consuming :-)


Our daughter got a beautiful gently used sewing machine for her 8th birthday last week. So we set her up her "sewing space" and she took off!
First she sewed on paper. Learned straight lines. She got really good at presser foot down, needle down - needle up, presser foot up. Then she turned corners on paper lines. Next we threaded it and practiced tons that way. She caught on like she was BORN to sew! I love it!!! I'm excited to watch her sew for many years to come!

Forgot to take a picture of the first Doll Skirt - but suffice to say she's doing well!

Now... maybe I can get some sewing done.  I have the whole quilt sandwich quilted except the end borders which I hope to do this evening. Then hopefully I'll get the binding on later this week and it'll be done and I can resume apparel sewing :-)




2 comments:

  1. Learning to sew is such an advantage to have for your whole life! Bravo to your eight year old daughter for jumping in with both feet. I hope she keeps her interest in sewing as it can lead to so many different things. Even a career choice! I learned to sew in 7th grade when a semester of sewing was offered. I made all my own clothes through my twenties, and then clothes for my daughter for many years. Your daughter is a lucky little gal to have a mom with the patience to teach her the basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her older sister has taught her to knit as well! I'm very happy with my girls learning these skills!! A lifetime of savings for sure!

      Delete