Monday, February 11, 2013

A Quilt for Littlest Man

The quilt is finished! It only took me about 2 years! Really just a couple days last year and a couple days this year LOL


I had asked my mom to sew it for him a few years back. She willingly cut out a bunch of squares and sewed many of the blocks for me. She also had an idea of how I should do it. But of course by the time I got to sewing the blocks together (2 years later) I couldn't remember what she was planning so I "winged" it.

I machine quilted the main block part with horizontal stitching lines. The end borders were my first attempt at ever doing some original quilting. I thought about stippling but in the end decided to print a design off the computer and used tracing paper to transfer it to the borders. It turned out okay but I kind of wished I had stippled.

I laid out the blocks and it only amounted to a square 67" X 67". Rather short for a twin size bed. So I sewed as many blocks together as I had in a design that kinda made sense. Then I took some other homespun and made a wide border at either end to add another 16". So it ended up 67" X 83". It is a bit wide for the bed but is long enough to tuck in at the foot so I'm good with it.

Best part.... he likes it and is glad Mom is done with his quilt, finally!

2 comments:

  1. Such a perfect quilt for your son! He will have it on his bed for many years, I'm sure. Really, really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We wanted it manly to last a lot of years. No frills or flowers. His old one was a store bought, hand-me-down, yellow one so this is quite an improvement!

      Delete