Friday, November 20, 2015

First Coverstitch Project - denim skirt

I've been wanting a cover stitch machine for a long time! I do so much with knits and with a new grand baby on the way too - I know it will be getting tons of use!! So last weekend while at the Creative Sewing Expo I got one for a fairly decent price. Way off retail. It's a floor model from a local dealer, plus a show special so it was lower even than I had hoped. I came right home and ordered a couple binder attachments from ebay too but they haven't arrived yet.

It's a Babylock BLCS-2..... I'm in love.... I can't wait to see all I can do with the three wonderful machines I have now!!! I looked at updating my serger with one that would cover stitch but decided against that. I wanted a separate machine that I didn't have to switch back and forth on. Besides I actually love my 20 year old serger. It needs a new upper blade but still runs like a champ!

After playing with it for a few days to familiarize myself, I tackled just a simple denim skirt. I was planning on doing one floor length but I'd have to alter a pattern for that. I just went with Simplicity 2184 (size 20) which is my favorite denim skirt in my closet right now. The one in the closet is beginning to show some wear so I thought I'd play around with my new toy and make something that will be needed soon.

Just a simple elastic waist skirt that will be perfect for a work skirt around the farm too.

Here's a close up of my triple cover stitch
The pattern calls for cutting on the bias but I was using fabric from another skirt that I had made that turned out to be a wadder. There was enough fabric to make this one out of that one if I went straight on grain. So that's what I did.

Expect to see more sewing since I've spent the next two years clothing budget on my new "toy" so I'll have to be making most of our clothes again for a while...... LOL

I made a baby outfit recently too but forgot to take a picture before I gave it as a gift. Hopefully the new mom will send me a picture, with baby in the outfit even! When she does..... I'll post it too.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back in blogland! I have to show my ignorance . . . would it be easy to explain to me what a cover stitch machine is? I don't believe I've ever even heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's similar to a serger, kind of. It can do a 1, 2, or 3 stitch hem while finishing the raw edge on the back at the same time. The seam finish looks exactly like ready to wear. Then I can buy an binder attachment that will put binding on T-shirt necks, sleeve bands, etc.... all in one step too. Then I can sew upside down with it and it will have an overlock type coverstitch on the right side like you often see in RTW sports wear now-a-days.

      Hopefully as I get going here you'll get to see lots of examples.... I don't have a choice because I spent my clothing budget for the next few years on it ROTFLOL

      Delete